Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Book: Short Nature Walks on Long Island


Wandering through the Barnes & Nobel on Old Country Road in Carle Place, I was thrilled to find an entire section dedicated to Long Island books! There was Long Island Rail Road, a history of the LIRR, Crazy Stuff Long Island: Little Known Facts About the Longest Island in America, and the most exciting to me, Short Nature Walks on Long Island. 

Now, I've been known to push myself through a challenging hike (willingly or otherwise...), but I'd been looking for a guide to easy trails on LI. This book includes maps, park hours, facilities & suggestions for what to bring, and the low-impact nature of these spots makes them accessible to any age. There are so many ecosystems here on LI - the marshlands of Jamaica Bay, the rocky beaches of the North Shore, the woodlands of central LI, and historic former estates - that I can't wait to explore with the help of this guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment