Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Think Globally, Act Long Island-ly

So here we are - the first post of Locally LI!  It seems like just yesterday that you were no more than an idea for my thesis project.  How the time flies!

Well, I think I'll use this first post to talk about the blog's title: Locally Long Island.  It comes from the phrase "Think globally, act locally" - a slogan used to show how everyday actions can change one's impact on the environment and world around them.  When you choose low-impact options, such as buying from a farmers' market or small business, instead of high-impact options, like buying imported fruits or clothes from a chain store, you're reducing your impact on the environment and underpaid workers, as well as letting companies know you want responsible products.  Additionally, "thinking locally" helps support small businesses in your community. 

My hope for Locally LI is that I can share the products, stores, websites, tips, tricks, and organizations I've found that have a cradle-to-grave, low-impact, global philosophy.  I want this blog to make finding these kinds of products easy so that buying "green" or "globally" isn't a hassle.  And lastly, I'd like it to be a forum for fellow Long Islanders to share what they've found and their experiences with each other. 

So, welcome to Locally LI!


-Melissa

3 comments:

  1. Melissa, this is awesome! Good for you. I'll probably read now and then, but it's a shame I don't live on Long Island to take advantage of this as a resource! I'll send the link to my LI friends though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I hope to see some of your suggestions and recommendations soon! Richard Garner, Adelphi University

    ReplyDelete
  3. A really interesting blog for sure. the whole green scene is a fast growing and important one.I wish there was an organic fast food place sometimes hehe, one can dream right?

    ReplyDelete